March 16, 2009

Initial Impressions

I have to say, the first full day here was really depressing but it's amazing how the human mind can adapt to the surroundings. I can't imagine anyone wanting to live in this God-forsaken place but the camp isn't all that bad. There are a number of amenities in camp to keep Soldiers occupied during their stay.

On the first night, I and two other Soldiers walked around to see the sights. Everywhere we go, we need to have a battle buddy. There are lots of service members to include foreigners at this camp and having your battle buddy with you at all times is a must.

I had the chance to call Bri to let him know I had arrived. It was great to hear his voice especially since I was feeling down. I got to use a complimentary AT&T card which I received before boarding the flight along with a complete bag of goodies to include toiletries, snacks and reading material.

Right outside of the calling center is a stage and that night they were having a version of American Idol/Karaoke with all of the cast members. Just like the show, there were good, bad and really bad singers. One Soldier in particular sang AC/DC’s Thunder. He was so bad he got dragged off of the stage.

The next day, we headed to the gym. It’s a huge facility with multiple variations of weight lifting and cardio equipment. This was the first time I had worked out since leaving Minnesota. Sleep had been more important when I was at Fort Lewis. It was great to work out again and surprising I didn’t die from the experience especially after being a slug for over a month.

The gem of this place is the United Service Organization’s (USO) building which is absolutely amazing. You certainly don’t feel like you are in Kuwait but rather a builder’s show room in the Twin Cities. Service members are able to take a break at this oasis during their off duty time. Everything from computers, phones, movies, books, video games, food and beverages are available at no cost to the service member.

The gym! There is another one near our tents that is smaller but less used than this one.


The USO! You can almost hear angels sing when you walk in!

No comments:

Post a Comment