February 3, 2009

Fort Lewis, Washington

I haven't been to a lot of bases but this post is one of the nicest I've seen except where I'm living...go figure. When it isn't cloudy, Mount Rainier is a spectacular sight. South fort is similar to driving through east end Duluth or Summit Ave in St. Paul. There are a lot of amenities on post from a movie theater, roller skating rink, fast food restaurants and coffee shops (even my favorite: Starbucks)!

The barracks are a lot to be desired. It's not crowded right now but when the main body arrives we'll be tripping over each other in the latrine. It reminds me of a funny list: 40 Ways to Prepare for a Deployment. I've listed a few that pertain now.

#1 Sleep on a cot in the garage. (I'm not sleeping on a cot but the mattress has a lot to be desired).
#3 Two hours after you go to sleep, have your significant shine a flashlight in your eyes and mumble, "Sorry, wrong cot."
#5 When you take showers, wear flip-flops.
#15 Set your alarm clock to go off at random times during the night. When it goes off, jump out of bed and get to the shower as fast as you can. Simulate there is no hot water by running out into your yard and breaking out the garden hose. (Haven't had any issues with not having enough hot water, however, the alarms start going off as early as 0430 and don't stop until 0600. Plus everyone is moving around at all hours of the night whether they are coming back from a late meeting, having a smoke, or using the latrine). Brian's snoring just doesn't seem that bad now with at least 3-4 women who could easily compete with any man.

I really haven't settled in yet since we will be moving to different barracks. Let me clarify; not better only a different location. No sense in unpacking only to repack in a few days.

Our Signal (Communication) Soldiers set up wireless in the area. It's good to be a part of Signal since we always have electricty and communications. I tried Skyping the family and that worked well. Seeing their faces makes it a little bit easier being away.


The sleep number beds!


Really nice porcelain sinks with lighted mirrors!


Mount Rainier

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like fun. How much does it cost and where do I sign up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang Kris...I nearly had to boycott your blog--Starbucks is your 'favorite'!

    Fortunately, I see in one of your pictures you're clearly holding a Caribou cup, so I guess we can let it slide this time!

    Really nice blog so far; looking forward to keeping track of your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mount Rainer is awesome Red!

    Remember grab a top bunk, you never know what can fall from above!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dearest Kristen, I am enjoying your blog site. I made a paper copy for Grandmother Dart and one for your history book that I am creating. I love you and miss you. - Mother

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kristen, the sleep # beds look... hum, lets forget that one. Can't wait to see what your temporary, permanent one looks like. Your picture of Mt Rainier is beautiful though. Some good with the bad. Hope all is going as well as can be expected. WE miss you very much. Will be tracking your Blog every day. Sometines I look at it with your Dad, so don't always check in on my own coomputer, but do look at it every day, sometimes twice, so I don't miss anything. Love you, Mary Lou

    ReplyDelete
  6. They say a picture is worth a thousand words. This comment is grossly overstated in the case of the bunks and the latrine. On my trip to Seattle this week I was fortunate enough to visit Kristen on post at Ft. Lewis. A very welcome relief and probably the last time I will see her before she goes over the pond. While there I got to see first hand how the living arrangements are and they are at best complete Hell holes. Paint chips and lights hanging from the ceiling, plastic chairs and bunk beds straight out of the movie set Jarhead. Plastic covered mattresses and plastic covered pillows added to the ambiance and gave you the image that if a fire truck showed up for a drill they could hose the whole place down in about two minutes and only have to hang the sheets out to dry and they would be back in business. My guess is that Kristen is actually looking forward to the living arrangements in Iraq. If you can believe that.
    Red--I love you will all of my heart and it breaks mine apart that I get to live the way that I do while you are living the way that you are. I would give anything to trade places with you. You have worked so very hard and the Army owes you more than this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kristen, your Dad sent me a link to your blog. What a great way to keep everyone up to date on what's going on. I was assigned to the 1st AVBAT/571 MedEvac as a crew chief in Cu Chi Rep. of Viet Nam. In the days before blogs, my family and friends would wait anxiously for that monthly letter, assuming I had time to write. Or the MARS phone call when the system was working. I honestly believe that the anxiety level for my family was amped up simply because they didn't know what was going on and by their imagination which was fueled by the nightly news. This blog will do much to alleviate their apprehension. That being said, from one old Warrior to the new Vanguard, God bless you and it is my honor to pass the torch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Valentine's weekend Red! Your place looks awesome........at least outside. You're in our hearts and thoughts. Love you lots!

    ReplyDelete